About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Friday 2 January 2015

Crash, crash, and crash again


Now I remember why I didn't go out riding last winter in the ice... 

Not one, not two, but three bloomin crashes on one ride! 

There was me thinking, let's go out for a ride with the guys, a nice 80 or so easy winter ride to burn off that Christmas dinner (or the boozing)! 

Woke up late (standard) and rushed around to get to Matt's in time for meet & depart. We were on our way to Comberton from Burwell which was about 18 miles ish. 

We were going at a fairly sprightly pace for a winter morning which was nice. Until that wonderful right hand bend through Barton. 

Before I knew it, I was sliding on my side for a good few seconds at a fairly decent pace. From my Garmin I can guess I was going about 18mph or so. Just seeing the pavement sliding underneath me and the searing pain through my arm and thigh. Being helped off the road on to the path I got that sick feeling, dizzy and in shock. My 2nd only crash. Another rider came down behind me in an attempt to not run over me. We both took a battering. Bikes ok and a moment to assess the damage, ripped jersey and arm warmer as ugh. 
Soldier on, only a mile till we meet the others in Comberton. 

Once grouped up, I made a slight adjustment to my saddle. We were off again. On the knowledge of the crash we took it steady for the first 10 miles or so. Then in Gt Barfield, slippery roads and an already tensed up nervous body on a bike, I felt my wheels sliding around underneath me. And once again my bike went one way and I went another, into the kerb and over on the left. At least I seemed to balance out the pain across my body. 

At this point I wanted to call it a day. Phoned the mother who surprisingly didn't seemed too concerned and suggested I phone my brother who lives nearer. Father didn't answer his phone and brother was looking after my poorly niece. With no rescue and a sinking feeling in my heart I decided I had no choice but to carry on. I didn't want to hold the group up any longer. 

On we went, gingerly. Some areas on the ride we had to get off and walk due to too much ice. 

At a turning point, the three chaps and I decided to call it and make a turn back towards Suffolk, in the know that we were a good 40 miles away. 

Going slowly still, we came across a road which just glistened. I began to slow down to get off my bike and walk. Not wanting to risk my battered body anymore. But it seemed my bike had other ideas. Before I even got to a point of unclipping, about a foot or so from the verge and down I go. All I can think is the camber of the road and the ice underneath my tyres. Wheels went left, I went right. Straight down with full weight onto my elbow. The pain I felt does not compare to anything I have felt before. Crumpled in a heap on the floor, friends came to my aid. I was shocked, in so much pain and mentally exhausted from the two crashes before. 

Luckily in a turn of fate, a couple who just pulled out of their drive down he road saw my sorry state and said we could go back to theirs. Matt called his wife who instantly jumped in the car to come and collect us. The two other Suffolk chaps made a call to be collected too. 

I felt awful, bringing the ride to an abismal  end. A trip to a long wait in a&e and luckily news that my elbow isn't broken. 

I can safely say that I shall never ride in icy weather again! 

Bit of thigh road rash from under DHB thermal tights! 

Got a bit of swell on after a&e 

After a&e 

Latest photo bruising nicely 




No comments:

Post a Comment