About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Wednesday 17 September 2014

How close is close

This weekend I had the pleasure of riding with Aprire Bicycles down in Richmond Park - London. 

It was a great experience, not only to meet the team and check out the bikes of a British Engineered bike company, but go for a ride and learn the ways of riding 'close'! 
 
Over the past year I've been picking up bits of information on how to 'race', but with few local riders about to help me practically learn the ways, it was great to get out down South. In events that I have done (triathlons and Sportives) it's always quite unnerving because you don't know how other competitors ride & sometimes they can be unpredictable which makes passing quite problematic!! 

We started off heading over to Richmond Park. Phil had set me up on one of the new Aprire Celeste road bikes - super light! Check their range out here : www.aprirebicycles.co.uk @aprirebicycles 


Once we got to Richmond Park, chatting away and before I new it we were riding side by side and handlebars nearly touching! Strangely though I didn't feel nervous about being knocked off, maybe it was because I knew that Phil is a good rider with lots of experience.


He explained that in a race, I would likely be riding at this distance for most of it. Then he ride closer and our hands / bars tapped *panic*! But it was ok! I guess it's that unknowing, if you've never ridden close, you assume as soon as someone touched your bike you'll immediately push off and crash! 

It's definitely something I need to practice as we weren't exactly going super fast but after a few laps and flowing conversation, riding close became 'normal'. It definitely pays to have someone experienced riding with you though to:
1) put you at ease that they're not going to do anything stupid and
2) explain what is going on, how to avoid incident & remain strong in a pack. 

My goal is to get to a point where I can ride balanced at that distance and come off the bars. To be able to comfortably take off a jacket without stopping, and chat relaxed on a ride at pace and with the occasionally touching of bars. 

Watch this space (small space 😆) 

No comments:

Post a Comment