About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Thursday 24 July 2014

To TT and beyond

So last night I raced at our club 5mile Time Trial event... 
I left work earlier as I was keen to try and get a warm up done by cycling 8 miles to the venue, and to also get my friend out on her bike after a big crash. 
We got there in plenty of time for a chat and I ended up discussing the benefits of these alien looking helmets that are supposed to make you go faster. All to do with the aerodynamics in cycling apparently. It just so happened that it also matched my jersey - WIN! 
A couple more little burst warm ups to get the blood flowing in my legs, remove all unnecessary accessories off my bike & jersey - water bottles, saddle bag, bananas and keys but keeping on my rear light for the rules.
Ready to rock. On the start line, 30s to go, Matt held my saddle as I got clipped in to my pedals. Wavering and nervous as today there was big competition between Keith and I. Who will win. My friendly rival. Also added pressure of Owen (one of the faster guys starting off at number 5 behind me)
10,5,4,3,2,1... WRONG GEARING! Dragging myself off the start line in too heavy gearing and my feet cramped up. Come on legs I thought, and off I went. 
It was a pretty windy evening. Looking down at my Garmin wondering where my power is going. MUST NOT go below 20mph. Lighter gear to spin my legs faster helped me mentally remember that I've got it in them. Crankin up the first hill, will Owen catch me.. No sign of him yet. 
Next hill.. Still no sign. Feeling good as I come down the other side, zipping round parked cars, bumped over a few cateyes.
Sharp left hand bend.. Had to break! 
Last slog home, just over a mile to go. 
SHUT UP LEGS! Got to beat Keith. Can't let Owen catch me.. If he hasn't caught me already perhaps he's got a mechanical issue. 
Trying to ignore the windy gusts and just get my head down and grind away. Averaging about 23mph on the way back.. Trying to get my overall average up. Feeling really good. Round the last bend to home, few gear changes to wake the legs up again. Push to the line..... FINISHED! 
5 miles of grit. 
Somehow Owen never caught me! 
This time I made sure I did a cool down, spinning my legs through the village to release the lactic acid. 
Once I got back to the marshals, checked me time. 
PERSONAL BEST! 
30seconds off my last 5mile TT. 
5miles in 14.04minutes. 

Was it the helmet? Was it the friendly competition? Was it being chased by Owen? Or was it that I'm just getting quicker. I'm going with the last option! 
Bring on next weeks 18mile! 
Perhaps I should get one of those alien helmets after all. 
Ride Rusty Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment