About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Saturday 2 August 2014

A day of swim, run & cycle..

Today (as standard Saturdays go) contained swimming at Milton lake, running at Milton Parkrun and cycling but the cycling was Kerry and I helping out at the local time trial on the a11. 

7am out the door, Milton lake. It was a struggle getting up. I really didn't want to. But then I remembered - 14 days until Ely  Olympic. GET UP! 

It was a good swim with Pearl and Linda although they had just had all the weed cut so it was definitely a learning, character building swim. I've not had the pleasure of swimming face first into a bush of weed before and my god it freaked me out. All I was thinking about was the lurking monster that would grab you and drag you under, or was that just  the stories I was told at a young age!! With a little panic, I combed myself through, trying not to put my face in so I didn't see the reeds. Then back swimming again. Then combing, then swimming. 
I think I did about 5/6 laps of the triangle which equated to about 1250m so I was content. The last three I did without stopping which was a confidence boost after Friday nights stressful lake swim. 



Out and changed, I didn't take a tri suit today. I wanted to run in my new joggers, BIG MISTAKE! 
At the start line, I meet my sister-in-law which was great! We discussed times and I was aiming to try and get under 25 min. Last week I did 26.53. It was a big ask but Lee said he would pace me with his watch. Maths time, so that's 5minute kilometres. (Mental puke!) I don't think I've ran that fast before! 
We start off, fast pace. I keep on Lee's heels. It's always packed for the first 1km through the winding park. The big mistake - my joggers kept coming down! I was getting so frustrated. Somehow we did a 4.59 first 1km. After that I slowed. I kept with Lee but he pulled away, I'd claw back, he'd pull away, then slow down to keep my motivated to go faster than my normal pace. I felt horrid! I was right chested (forgot my inhaler), irritated about my shorts coming down and I had stitch. It was raining. Every now and then he'd say words of encouragement. 
The last 400m to go I sprinted, well I tried. Lee kept with me. 

25.22minutes. Not sub 25, but still a 31second PB! 

I was so grateful as he normally runs about 20min 5kms so he sacrificed his run to help me. That's what I love about being in a club, everyone helps everyone to improve. Linda and I helped pearl in the swim, Lee helped me on the run and Linda cheered everyone on - she can't run at the moment due to tendon issues in her foot. 

What's great about Parkrun is that there's always a friendly environment and the cafe! Definitely a great way to get into running! 

Some post run photos... 

The cycling, I didn't take part in. But did help out at the local ECCA 10mile time trial event which started on the A11 at Six Mile Bottom. I was initially only going to provide Kerry with some pasta as she was marshalling / working on bibs for the riders but I ended up just helping out. It was great actually as I got to ask lots of questions about how you get to race these trials, what you need, how it works etc. 

I learnt that for this particular one, it favours the slowest rider. There is 20% allocation for female riders which makes me happy as it ensures women can get a race in! 

I also learnt that I won't be able to make any of the other trials this year as I'm booked up with triathlons!! Damn! 

There were a few Newmarket CTC club riders there which was great. Bob ride great and it was great to welcome him back. Steve seemed content with his ride too. Jon I didn't get to speak to though. 

It's definitely one I'm going to plan for for next year! 



No comments:

Post a Comment