About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Saturday 2 August 2014

The countdown continued..

Swim time... 

I've been trying to be a bit more smart about my training, trying not to do too much which results in me not pushing myself in each session as I'm fatigued. Bearing that in mind, I didn't go to swim training Friday morning as I knew I was going to the lake after work. 
5.30pm.. Out the office door and on the bike back to the car, zip down the a14 round to Histon for the lake swim. 

Wetsuit on and ready to go. Looking around and who do I spot... Sue Dougan from the BBC radio Cambridgeshire! We had been tweeting for some time about getting her to Histon lake as we are both entered into the Cambridge City Triathlon in September. 

It was great to be a friendly face at what is quite a daunting first experience. I know this first hand as I only went for my first lake swim around this time last year. Actually, I only started swimming even in a pool around this time last year after being roped into the National Club Relays with my tri club in Newmarket. There's something really quite nerve wracking about going into a dark lake, you can't see the bottom, you're constricted by the wetsuit and then the cold water starts to trickle through the zip down your back, it's all such bizarre experience. I recall my first three times in the lake before the relays, not one session went well. First time was the goggle issue one, second was the panic attack one, third was panic attack and goggle issue. Then it was the relays - I did the 500m swim, entirely in breaststroke. My head didn't even go under the water! I was so annoyed at myself, but in hindendsight, happy as it spurred me on to enter St Neots 2 weeks later and have an amazing experience! 
Anyway, back to Friday- digressed a bit. 
Kerry (my adopted coach) arrives and I wished Sue well on her first swim - she was with others and off they went. 

Off we went, Kerry is a much stronger swimmer than I, but I tried to keep up. Up to the island and then she was out of sight. I get around the island and start to relax. I see other Newmarket tri swimmers go past, on there 2nd lap! Come on Rust. Get on with it. I crack on and get past the pipe, then to the bend round and it's the home straight. Goggles irritating me. Tight chested. Frustrated. Push on. I knew I could swim the buoyes so I tell myself, get to the last one and then the last stretch back to the bank. And I did it. Getting faster. This time I started kicking my legs more as I approached the bank as I've heard it prepares the legs for the transition run. It seemed to work as I get to the bank I can walk out and take off my wetsuit without too much wobbling around. 
Kerry returns, she had done another loop of the buoyes - she's preparing for an ironman remember! I'm just happy to know I can do 1.5k just need to get faster. 

Bring on 17th August Ely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment