About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Friday 29 August 2014

The last TT, PB & league winner

Wednesday was a sad day :( the last club time trial of 2014 - except the Hill Climb which I can race as I'm conveniently on a hen do 😆 

I had over the last two weeks or so suddenly got this insane competitive urge. I sat and trawled through the club records online (although they only go back to 2011) to find out what the records were for the women's times on all our courses. Making a list of course, time and rider, I found that I am about a minute off or just under. 

Having made adjustments to the bike mentioned in my last post, I wasn't 100% confident in getting a good time at the time trial. But hey ho, last one and only 5 miles. Give it a bash :) 

Unfortunately with nights drawing in the TT start times get earlier. Even leaving work earlier I was still rushed to get there. Banana shoved in my mouth & a swift journey over to Fordham. Join the queue to sign on. Quite a lot of riders tonight!! 

I think I did about 3 miles warm up (not enough) but I didn't want to risk musing my time. 

Number 23 tonight. In my mind I was thinking about the records. The last time I did Fordham I did 14.04. The record is 12.38. Whoosh!!

However knowing at the start line that there were traffic lights on the course, chances of people getting PB's were slim. Few female riders too that night. 

Off I go and I swear, but even a mile down the road and my legs were feeling like lead. Click to a lighter gear just to rotate them faster (increase cadence I think it's called). 
Turn the corner, I got a good line. Look down at my Garmin, 28mph! Major confidence boost. Kick on Rusty. 
2.5miles down, think I was averaging 22-23 mph at that point. But knowing the headwind was on the way back there was little chance of me improving that. 
Nearing the lights, Rory (who had passed me at about 3 miles) was in my sight. He was slowing for the lights, I pressed on and timed it perfectly, I went through green, looked left and they had just turned amber. Perfect! Now crack on! 
4miles, ish 12min something. Not going to get there in 30 seconds! But try and get as close as I can. I see Matt who went off before me. I gain on him & we cross the line at the same time. 
13.05. HAPPY DAYS! It's not the curse record, but that's the long term goal. It's a good 59second PB! 


I'm now beginning to wonder what the possibilities are if I stop / slow down triathlon and focus on cycling!! 

To top it off, I have secured my place at the top of the women's league in our club time trials (although few members took part). But I guess, you can only race against those that rock up on the day and as long as I push myself to beat my own times, I'm happy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment