About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Friday 22 August 2014

Highs, lows.. finding the middle ground

What a week. After Sunday's triumph I was feeling the greatest natural high I've ever experienced. I was so happy to have done the Ely Monster Olympic. Goal 1 - check.

Taking Monday off (work) we - Kerry and I went for a swim which basically just turned out to be a giggling fit whilst aqua jogging it's the weirdest thing but apparently great for flushing out the legs, bobbing around in the deep end with a float under your arms trying to "jog". We did a few lengths after 30 min of "jogging" and lazed around the rest of the day with coffee, cake and engraving our finisher medals.

Tuesday was a true day off :)

Wednesday I was supposed to get up and swim, but I will still happy with Sunday that I thought well, just relax as it was the TT that night. I have been battling with this cold / chest infection trying to stave it off. Dosing up on Echinacea drops in hot water with lemon, manuka honey and ginger. And also trying this breathe deep Yogi Tea. Tastes NICE!

TT time. I drove to the Red Lodge TT not feeling 100% still. Getting out of the car I wasn't really feeling it. I had forgotten my Garmin (safety vice) and my chest was feeling tight. Paid my money then began to contemplate if I really wanted to do it. The voice in the back of my head was saying, don't bother just watch but my new found competitiveness was saying, well if you want to do well in the Club League you should probably give it a go and at least get a time to get points. I told myself, ok just go round, you don't have any idea on speed or time so just enjoy riding the bike as you've not done much this week. Just turn your legs over.

I did a quick (pointless) warm up and turned up to the start line. The usual countdown began. I was pushed off and I was suddenly partially energized.

It was actually quite lovely not having a speed to look at. Just feeling my legs go round, and trying to breath normally (with lots of grossness coming out my nose)...yum!

I ended up passing two riders mid way round the course, Richard was riding his first ever TT so it was great to see him. This one was my first one last year too. Then the other rider I couldn't name. I think I passed a few more just before the finish line but it's all a bit of a blur.

Cooled down I went over to the time keepers to check my time... 22.57... WHAT. NO WAY. THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE.... THAT'S WRONG. No  they kept telling me it's right, you did a cracking ride. Cue peak of natural high... (oh how it wasn't to last). Going back to the group, I was quietly telling a few people, just trying to contain myself. I should have guessed it wasn't right as there is NO WAY I can beat Mick. NO WAY. The Club Chairman even said to me quietly, I think you broke the course record. Then emailed me later that night saying he couldn't find a faster time. He seemed convinced that the timings were right.

The next 15 hours or so (I'm useless at maths) were incredible. I felt amazing. Then about 11 o'clock at work the next day, after lots of comments on my time, the post went up on facebook. The dreaded post. One of the time-keepers admitted that there had been a muck up on the timings. No. 21 wasn't there so everyone from 22 on-wards should have had a 1 min delay but didn't. So we all needed a 1 min adding on to our times. WHAT!!!! I was crushed. Honestly, I could have cried. I questioned why the other time-keeper who was posting on the facebook thread didn't mention it sooner as he would / should have known about the time change issue. The reply which really upset me Yeah I did - I just wanted to see who thought their shit really don't stink!! SERIOUSLY? Now I don't know if I'm just a bit sensitive, but that seems a tad out of order.

That little episode has enlightened me to the negative realms of friendly club competition. Trying to rise above it, I simply posted that I was still happy with a 7 second PB especially feeling like crap and having done my triathlon at the weekend. The problem now I guess is that when this chap time-keeps again, am I going to fear that he's out to get me. I have to keep reminding myself, I have only owned a bike for a year, and I have only been actively trying to do well in time trials for the past few months. But I am dreaming, I want to race, I want to do well, and I will try my hardest! If I don't try now and take the opportunity, when will I?

So the week has gone from massive high, to even greater high, to crashing lows. But I have learnt from it. Now it's all about going forward, going to this weekend where we have the National Club Relay Champs at Nottingham which was my first ever experience of triathlon last year so I have to get a PB on this one. Downside, said chap is in my team. Then next week is the last Fordham 5 mile TT. I checked out the club records for that one, 12.38. I am not going to do that this year, not on my current bike. But that's next years target.

On a another plus from the TT - Nigel got some awesome photos of me so I'm happy with that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment