About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Sunday 24 August 2014

National Club Relay Champs - triathlon

God I love this event! 

It was my first experience of triathlon last year after I was roped into a team despite admitting that I couldn't swim last year. But this year, with my few sprints and Olympic distance under my belt I was feeling positive about my performance in the team. This year I felt less like I was letting the team down (although no one ever said that) and more like I was contributing well. 

The 3 Newmarket teams were all picked at random by the guy organising our club entries. All the teams are mixed 2 men 2 female but it varied on what order I. Either female, male, female, male or reverse. I was to be no. 4 in my team. Eek! The pressure of trying to have a good final run was onnnn

Some of us camped the night before which was a good laugh, a few beers to help me go to sleep. 

Up at 5.30am and coffee!! The others turned up bright-eyed and bushy tailed & team captains went to sign on. 


Race time!!

Over to the grandstand and we all got ready. This year they have us number tattoos! That was fun - no one knew what to do but we figured it out eventually! 

All no. 1's got their red hats on and went down to the start. No.2's got their white hats on and made their way to holding pen where they were to wait for No.1's to finish the swim. It's absolute carnage trying to find your next swimmer after you come out of the VERY VERY cold regatta lake and face a wall of neoprene clad, swim hat & goggle wearing crazy people all shouting and waving to their team mates! 

As the relays are full of mixed teams of varying ability, it is not uncommon for the field to thin out. I was waiting for our blue hat chap to come out and I think there were only about 15 other swimmers left with me. 

Into the lake! The part I fear most. Oh god it's cold. I breast stoke for a bit to calm my breathing and put my face in. Last year I didn't even out my head under so this time I had to. I made it to the first buoy switching between a few strokes front crawl but mainly breast stroke. Round the bend I got on it. Head down and just breath. Next bend and it's the home straight. I saw another yellow hat breast stroking and I knew I could take her. I picked up my speed and just concentrated. Past her. Then saw a chap to my right. Going about the same speed. I was NOT goin to let him overtake me. What a rush. Last 50m to go and I was kicking like a mad woman. Out, rushed run to our no. 1 to hand over the band! Off he goes!! Ugh time to defrost! 

Back at the grandstand where our teams were congregating we all discussed how bloody cold the lake was. The other lady in my team, our no. 2 was unhappy with the swim. I tried to reassure her it was fine and it's all just a bit of fun (if you can call it that). But genuinely, it's friendly competition between our club as they are all made up of differing abilities. 

What's great is that you get to watch most of your team in their sections, what's not so great is that you get cold between each of your sections. But that's the fun of it. 

Our no. 1 had a blinding race! Great swim, great bike and great run! No. 2&3 had areas they weren't happy with but enjoyed it overall! I was happy with the bike leg, putting in a 24.40. Our team was pretty much tied between 091 the third Newmarket team. 090 was long gone! No. 4 of 091 overtook me halfway round the final lap of the bike so I knew it was going to be close with just a few seconds between us. 

The run! I waited with out no.3 and 091's no. 4 in the pen whilst we waited for our no. 2 to finish her run. In she came and off he went! I knew I had about 23-4 min to warm up / get ready! I see him coming round. Whip off my hoody and get ready. Our other team 092's last runner was with me, it was to be a neck and neck between us on the run. Luckily for me, our no. 3 was faster on the run than theirs so it gave me a 2 min head start. Knowing he was chasing me kept me running that bit faster. 

A lady came to over take me but then stuck with me and we helped each other round. The final leg back was brutal wind! Stomping along eating the ground up we stuck in. We got to the big blow up beer and I had a boost. I picked up the pace and I wanted to over take the other elder lady who had taken me half way round. I knew I could do it. Checking behind earlier on I knew 091 won't catch me. I shouted to my running buddy thank you!! And started sprinting! With about 15 meters to go I overtook the woman & crossed the finish line! 

What a great feeling! 

It's so great doing the relays with the club as it's great for team bonding and also to get new members involved in triathlon at an easier pace as you do get a big time gap between each of your disciplines. I loved it last year but this year was awesome knowing I could do the swim & the run better. And last weeks issue with the chap at time trialling seemed to reduce which was good. 

The Newmarket team times: 
090 - 04.07.04 
092 - 04.20.19 
091 - 04.22.29 

Happy 😆 then beer! 



No comments:

Post a Comment