About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Monday 4 August 2014

The 100mile club

Yesterday was just awesome! 

With all the training Kerry has helped me with, I wanted to return the favour and help her complete her first 100mile. 

After posting up in the club Facebook group, it wasn't long before there were a number of takers to join the ride. And two others who also wanted to ride their furthest distance and join the 100 mile club. 

Matt already had got a route with some hills which was about 80miles. He's great at route planning and navigating, and also staying up the front so we don't all get lost. 

Starting out from the Newmarket leisure centre we headed off at 11am after Kerry finished work (the rest of us had a lay in!) 


Out towards Dullingham & Six Mile Bottom, I was 'on one'. Thrashing up the short steep climbs and getting 'aero' on the downhills. I think on one I got to about 38mph which was fun - and I wasn't even really pushing it! Just wanted to try and get a few QOMs (strava geek) before the miles started getting high. 

With Kerry reminding me that if this were an ironman, I'd have to do a marathon after so don't over do it! Noted coach! 

Over to Shelford and we picked up Lee on route. It was great to get him out too as he helped me get my PB on the Park Run the day before. 


With 10 of us riding it was a nice group, good speed and great chat. Over towards a small place called Bridgefoot and we stopped to fill up on water at the garage. It was such a hot day!! Something like 28 degrees someone said. We lost Bob & Alex as they needed to get back. 


I've become queen of cycling selfies (or some everyone tells me so I made sure I got one of everyone going up one of the small climbs (I cannot for the life of me remember where). 



LUNCH! We stopped in a lovely little cafe called Mocha in Saffron Walden. Great thing about leisurely Sunday rides is that there's no hurry to eat and get riding again. It was lovely to just have a natter together over a ciabatta and wild berry smoothie... Oh and quite a few cappuccinos (standard). 

We got going again heading back towards Newmarket. We got to Great Bradley and said Cheerio to Matt and Mark as they too needed to get back. Then there was just the four of us. Me and the three who've never done a 100 miles before. Anyone knows who's ridden with me, I'm not the most decisive or directional so we had to make a quick route to make sure we got to 100miles by the time we got back. 

Taking us more north round the right of Newmarket we got as far as Great Saxham and headed back via Barrow.

BANG! Andrew had a blow out. Checking his tyre and a big slice in it! Helping him change his tube, don't pump it up too hard so the new tube didn't pinch in the whole of the wall. Steady 12 miles back to Newmarket. 


We went slightly off course to make sure Andrew got home safe. Stopping at his for what Baron described as 'the best Coca-Cola I've ever had'!! 

Andrew had definitely done his 100 though as he cycled to Newmarket Leisure Centre which was 5.5miles. And that's all the remaining 3 of us needed to do to hit the big 100. 

Coming zooming down Duchess Drive I hit 100. Whoop. As Kerry didn't start hers until NLC, we made sure we all ride together until she hit it too. Just outside Premier Inn & wahayyy! Baron & Kerry both reached the furthest they've ever cycled. 

It was so great to have experienced it with them. I'm so proud of the three, and everyone in the club who came along in support. It was only my 2nd 100 so I'm happy too. Managed to bag a few QOMs on the efforts I did. 

What a great weekend! Oh and even crisper cycling lines ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment